Sunday, January 20, 2008

"Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that *rocks*."

Yesterday, I finally discovered the path that winds and wraps itself around IKEA and has arrows pointing the way to go. I've never followed the IKEA path before yesterday. I've always wandered in fits and starts and no particular order. I've always missed things. I've never seen the whole store. Yesterday, I was about to do the same thing all over again, until my friend B said "if we just stay on the path, we'll see everything".

It was an "ah ha" moment. I had found the path. Whenever we wanted to look at something, we'd get off the path and go and look at whatever-it-was. And then we made sure we got back on the path. As we went through the store and repeated this process many many times (IKEA has lots and lots of cool stuff), I began to ponder a likeness to another path.

I decided that the IKEA path is kind of like the "strait and narrow path": the path is windy, it has countless things on every side to see and experience, we can stop and hang out for a while taking in the scene, but in order to "see everything" and do what we need to do in life, we have to get back on the path and keep walking.

Oh, extra bonus from the trip: we had a great time and didn't buy a darned thing!

[Title quote is from "The Emperor's New Groove"]

5 comments:

Jen said...

Okay first I like your analogy and second how did you manage to not buy anything? you are impressive! I always have to buy something when i am there! Way to go!!

Caroline said...

You must have oodles of self-control. I would have at least bought something.... That's why I can't go there. I'm not good at "looking"

Jonathan & Katherine Earl said...

I'm surprised you were able to find your way back to the path. Katherine and I tried to do a walk-thru of IKEA too and became incredibly lost. I'm glad you had a good time though.

Karen said...

Nice analogy. See what happens when you stay on the path? You come out with your bank account in-tact!

Kristine said...

I love that you can connect IKEA (one of my fav things) to the gospel (my all time fav thing) And again love the title. How do you ever think of all those ... amazes me every time!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs