Saturday, January 5, 2008

"Read it. I think it's a book you'll enjoy. But make sure you return it; I have notes in the margin."

We spend A LOT of time in book stores. We also spend a lot of our time at home reading. M mostly reads non-fiction, though he did try and read both "The Once and Future King" and "The Grapes of Wrath" last year. Brave attempts though they were, they remain unfinished. I mostly read novels, but I also read a great deal of other things. However, I could NOT get through "The Secret" last year and will be trying again this year to actually finish "In Praise of Slowness" (see below).

Anyhow, we've recently come across some interesting finds, and thought we'd share them with those of you who like to read.

The book I'm reading right now is an excellent sample of creative non-fiction writing - which happens to be my particular interest and graduate study specialization (you know, if I ever go back). It's called "Birth: The Surprising History of How We are Born" by Tina Cassidy. I'm only part of the way through it and making my slow way, but it's fascinating to me and filled with information every woman, and certainly every mommy, might just want to know about.

"A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness" by V.S. Ramachandran is a book M's been picking up on & off for a few years. He's now back to it. He LOVES the intricacies of the human brain and, so, loves this book, which feeds that interest heartily. Ramachandran discusses both recent findings about brain function and as-yet unexplained phenomena.


"In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed" by Carl Honore talks about the extreme busyness of American life and illustrates how, for other cultures, slowness is the way of life. It helps me gain perspective, though I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. Maybe when I finally finish reading, it'll become clear.



M loved "Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science" by Atul Gawande. He thought it was an intriguing book laden with examples from Gawande's practice. He really admired Gawande's intense curiosity and that Gawande does what he does out of a genuine interest in science and in helping people get better. This book made M (and me, by association) VERY afraid of something called necrotizing fasciitis. For the borderline hypochondriac, like me, this may be one that's better left on the shelf.

That's it for now.

[Title quote is from "Dirty Dancing"]

1 comment:

trina said...

i love the "brain" books too! also the necrotizing faciitis is scary but not always as gruesome as possibly desribed in the book... the worst cases are usually special cases. i would like to read it, though.

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs