Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"The question is not whether I treat you rudely, but whether you've ever heard me treat anyone else better."

I heartily disagree!

And I've decided that M and I must be the ONLY people left in our City - maybe even the State - who still have manners. Who still say "Please" and "Thank you". (You all excepted, of course!)

Exhibit 1: M had a billing dispute with our sewer company. Since I have to work with them, it was a good thing he decided to handle this particular fight. He went down because they asked him to. Brought proof that we paid our bill. Gave them our account number so they could call our bank for further proof. Wasted an hour of his time. They rushed him out because they had stayed a half hour after closing. Told him he still needed to prove the payment was made. After all of which, he said "thank you. have a nice day." To which they replied. . . . nothing. Not a word!

Exhibit 2: We were at a place in the food court of Chandler Fashion Center. She handed us our food. We said "thank you". She handed us our cup. We said "thank you". She handed us our change. We said "thank you". Never at ANY time did she say "thank you" to us! Never at ANY time did she say "you're welcome"!

Exhibit 3: We were at a fast food drive thru tonight. He handed me M's whopper. I said "thank you". He handed me my change. I said "thank you". Again, no "you're welcome"! What the. . . ? Now I'm pissed!

Maybe we're a little more apt to say "Please" and "Thank you" than a lot of people. Some people think manners are "little rules for little people" (that's a movie line, folks). Not us. We say "please" and "thank you" all the time. To each other - for taking out the garbage, doing the dishes, cooking dinner, feeding the dogs - Everything. We say it consistently to co-workers and subordinates. To people who help us at the grocery store. Or any store. To fast food workers. Even to people who are rude.

I get that perhaps others are not as predisposed to "please" and "thank you". But, just blatantly ignoring common social niceties? Puh-lease. Something must be done! (Here's an idea: "Stick a silver spoon up any monkey's butt, it's bound to say 'please' and 'thank you'!" - another movie line, folks, from The Family Stone - I may have just hit an all-time record here!)

I don't think I'm asking for much. Just some sort of acknowledgement that I just said something to them! (Something nice, even!) Some sort of acknowledgement that we speak the same language! Some sort of acknowledgement that I'm not the Invisible Woman!

Hello. . . is this thing on?

[Title quote is from "My Fair Lady"]

8 comments:

Kristine said...

I TOTALLY agree. Most of the time I say thank you and get nothin' what is up with that? Am I just some crazy lady talking to myself?

Jonathan & Katherine Earl said...

I know what you mean! Try working with a bunch of 12-year-olds all day. They are challenged to even say anything nice about themselves. We are really working on not using unkind words in my class. I have a poster of Garfield by my door. He is smiling his big, cheesy grin and above his head it says, "Please remember to use good manners. Thank you!" The kids think this is very ironic because Garfield is not the most polite cartoon character. I guess all of this rude behavior is due to what they watch on TV and on being self-absorbed. Sometimes when I say "Thank you" to one of my students they get all defensive on me like I just insulted them. There is hope, though. I have seen some little improvement (especially since I've had some of these students for two years now).
--Katherine

The MomBabe said...

Hmm, I don't have that problem. maybe it's a east thing ;)

Jen said...

i love that m was still polite after they were so rude to him! I hate when people are rude!

Danielle said...

I completely agree! I make Justin say thank you to everyone! Mostly just because it's stinkin' cute the way he says it. And I have taught him to say "Move, please" before he shoves Charlotte out of the way.

Rich and Tebb said...

I agree with you, but you have to consider the quality of the places that you are getting service from. Usually when people want your business, they will respond to you. Obviously the fast food people don't care...and the sewer people know that you don't have a choice. You are exactly right though...manners are lacking in places that they used to exist. Oh, and please tell M that Hambone says WHAT'S UP! :) Thanks.

Nichole said...

HAMBONE!!! Holy Crap! We're both surprised (and excited) to see you 'round these parts. Can't link to your blog through here. . . so please e-mail M at michelangelo.fernandez@asu.edu. He'd love to hear from you - and I'd love to get my hands on your blog so we can keep up with you!

Danielle said...

I just finished the Birth book. Good stuff. Glad I live when I do and glad I get to decide how the heck I want to give birth. :)

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs