Saturday, August 2, 2008

"Sometimes I get the distinct feeling I'm missing out on something."

I'm fairly quick person. I shun the label "impatient" because I have not had recent occasion to prove otherwise. I can cut through the internet like a speeding bullet. I multi-task like a mother. I routinely do about 10 things at once.

But missing something? Oh yeah!

I remember the day I discovered a fair weather friend named Google Reader. I thought "what a fabulous friend! GR will make life more simple! Streamline my blogging madness! Give me more time to do 10 more things at once! GR is the next best thing since high speed modems!"

Or so I thought.

Don't get me wrong. GR does do all those things. Sort of.

But, I tend to miss posts for those who have "gone private". And I also miss the fabulousness that is visiting the blogosphere door by door and coming in the front gate, being invited in by pretty banners and pictures and profiles and posts! And I no longer get to wander from one blog to another, checking in on complete strangers and having M say "who's that?" and me going "oh, I don't know. just some stranger!"

The thing is, GR has become like the evening news or the daily paper: it's a recap of what's really going on "behind the scenes" - not the actual news. Not nearly as good as being "there"!

And another thing? GR has turned me into a schlumpf of a blog reader. I no longer read some of my favorite blogs because I check on GR and it says {name of cool blog} (57). You daily posters out there, I give you kudos for being so dedicated. But when I'm behind a few days and see a number like 12 or 15 or 77, particularly on the more, um. . . verbose blogs, I just give up and think "there's no way I have time for that right now!"

So. Missing something? Yeah. This is precisely how I feel lately!

Curse you, GR!!!!

[Title quote is from "Mr. Destiny"]

3 comments:

Kristine said...

I feel your pain. I lapsed in the blogging dept the last couple weeks for lots of different reasons but its amazing how much reading I have to do. Or more like, it's amazing how much can happen when your not paying any attention.

Kimberly said...

I'm trying to blog less often. I will try harder just for your sake!

Jen said...

I love GR!! I have it on my homepage and then just click to the blogs that have new posts. And on my sidebar I have a ~ next to my private ones so that I can check in on those frequently w/out trying to remember who went private. Anyway a few tips. GR can still be your friend and you can still visits sites and find strangers. Come on there has to be a compromise. Don't give up yet!!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs