Thursday, March 12, 2009

"I never listen to you when you're being morbid."

This afternoon, when it had been 4 hours since last I talked to M, I called him. He was out fishing. All by his onesy. Since 7 a.m.

Although he had miraculous riverside reception when I called around lunchtime, this time I had no such luck. While waiting for his voicemail message, I imagined the following scenario:

M comes back to the truck and finds someone trying to steal his Yakima racks off his truck. (After all he just told me that Arizona Game & Fish has issued safety warnings that more thefts are taking place in parking lots, etc.) He tries to stop them and they stab and/or shoot him and he slumps and collapses in a heap near the truck, unable to call for help. Eventually, the rangers (or whomever) discover him and check his cell phone, listen to the message I'm about to leave and call me back with the news.

Needless to say I left a sweet, semi-worried message in case it might be the last I ever leave for him.

I imagine such worst case scenarios all the time. I'm not kidding.

Am I morbid?

On second thought, don't answer that.

[Title quote is from "A Streetcar Named Desire"]

8 comments:

Jen said...

i totally do that!! i am constantly thinking "what do i do if" thoughts. Like driving across town and thinking it is rush hour and some crazy pyscho driver runs into me and my car goes on fire, how is eliott gonna handle all the kids if I die. you know things like that. morbid? no, cuz if you are then I am!!
can't wait to see you saturday!!

Miranda said...

Wait 'til you have kids. The thoughts get even worse. I have one heck of a hard time letting Matt go into the bathroom by himself because of my 'morbid' thoughts. And that's just one example.

Trina said...

oh yeah, i do that all the time! about benny when he's delivering, kids when the bus is late, crazy drivers and me rolling on the freeway- just to name my most repetitive ones and i'm so not crazy... lol!

Future Mama said...

Oh don't worry, I'm morbid too! I happen to think worst case senarios a lot, but I try not to let it go too far. If my husband doesn't call me on the way back from the gym or something I fear he died in a car crash...

I'm glad I'm not the only one though. haha.

Future Mama said...

PS: You CRACK me up with your comments on my blog! haha. I think we're on the same page girl. And love Meet the parents! haha!

Future Mama said...

Oh, and not to hog your comments section but I wanted to tell you that I wrote a post a month or so ago about wanting to save my husband's sperm "just in case" so no... You're not the only one, haha!

susette said...

I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I used to be ahead but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere, and it's a tight race now. I would so much appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥

Michelle said...

I think you're human-not morbid and unfortunately there are crazy things that happen in this world! A good friend of mine would tell me when i'd start thinking this way not to speak it (what i was thinking) into existence! The mind is a powerful tool! I miss you!!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs