Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Have you ever been kharmically bitch-slapped by a six-armed goddess? I’ll take that as a no."

From: Nichole
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:33 AM
To: Friend
Subject: RE: dinner

{edit}

. . . As for dinner, can we just set in stone a time next weekend? {edit} M’s in full panic mode this week over the demands of school, work, his calling, house values, and a partridge in a pear tree. I’m trying to talk him down.

From: Friend
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:53 AM

{edit}

{invitation to attend Relief Society broadcast while our husbands hang out}

From: Nichole
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:03 PM

I’ll have to run it by M. That sounds 1950-ish, but it’s because his school schedule is really tight through the end of the year. I felt guilty leaving the house for 3 hours on Saturday because I had to leave the baby there (he was sleeping) and it interrupted M’s studies, hence contributing to his panic this week that he’s behind. He’s all “I have to buckle down and can’t go anywhere on the weekends!” even though we really haven’t gone ANYwhere the last 2 weekends (other than to the Mac store to get a new laptop for school).

From: Friend
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:14 PM

wow. that is intense... like I said maybe during the week would be better like next Thur or something? {edit}

From: Nichole
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:26 PM

I would love to do Thursday – except we have a tight schedule in the evenings too. I work 9 hour days now so that I can have a day off every two weeks or so – to help with homework, of course. :) So, I get home around 6, cook dinner, put the baby down for a nap around 7, I pump, the baby gets up around 7:45 and I give him a bath at 8:00, followed by a bottle and getting him to bed, feeding the dogs, pumping again, and then I try desperately to get to bed before 10 (since I have to wake up at 5:45 to get him ready to get out the door with M). Seriously. It’s insane.

I was thinking this morning how I can’t seem to get anything done. I pay bills and shop for groceries during my lunch hour, do laundry in the mornings before I shower. . . still our house is always a wreck. It’s not that I’m not getting anything done, it’s just that there’s so much to do.

This Thurs night, we’ll be doing the nightly routine then typing a paper (because I have the same philosophy as you about Thurs nights/Fri mornings). We’ll probably work on it again Friday night too. Or Saturday morning.

I wish I was kidding.

{edit}

From: Friend
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:52 PM

sounds like a good plan... you both are really busy. {edit}

I was just thinking the other day how lucky I am to get to sleep in sometimes b/c I choose to instead of NEED to go go go! {edit}

From: Nichole
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:42 PM

{edit}

I’m like you – I Love sleep! And I used to be like you before the baby – sleep and go in to work “whenever”. Now I figure “since I’m already up, might as well go in” and get a free day off out of it every once in a while. If I went back to sleep after sending C off, I wouldn’t get in until 10 or later. Then again, I “slept in” yesterday (went back to sleep after the baby woke up at 6 a.m.) and I “sleep in” on Saturday mornings. There are times I fantasize about the good old days when I could take naps whenever and for as long as I felt like it.

Take advantage of it while you can!! People say “life changes” when you have a baby and you hear it, but you don’t really know what it means for your life until it happens. It’s not bad. It’s just totally different. Another reason I can’t imagine extending this out for years the way some people do. . .

From: Friend
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:52 PM

yeah for that reason i have to laugh. My mom still takes naps and did the whole time we were little. She would put us on the bed with her to sleep and we'd be moving until we fell off the bed.

I know life changes when you have a kid, but to what extent you accept it and to what extent you force it [to stay] the same is up to the individual. {edit}

From: Nichole
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:00 PM

I used to be one of those people who thought life as you know it is over once you have kids. And to some extent it is, but the first time I was in Hawaii, I saw a family with a little 18 month old in baby Keens and they were hiking the same trail we were. I realized then that you can still do all the things you did before, you just have to plan and be flexible enough to expect plans to change, sometimes several times. Thankfully, my twenties were great practice for that kind of mentality. I’m much more laid back now than I was then. I try not to be too “nostalgic” over the way things used to be. This is my life now. I chose it. I love it. And besides, like that book about parenting says, “Sleep is for the Weak”. (Rrrrriiiiight. . .)

[Title quote is from "Bubble Boy"]

No comments:

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs