Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"I didn't follow that at all, but I think the second one, the spinning crap one."

So, when I told him, he said "Whoa. I didn't think I talked that much last month. I actually thought I had done pretty well."

"Nope," I said. "We logged about 1,000 minutes. Each."

Then, it started.

"What!? Do they show you your call history?"
"Yes. I've got it pulled up in front of me."
"See? This is how these cell companies get you! They make billing very confusing so that you don't understand data charges and such and then they really stick it to you."

When did my husband become a 60 year old man?

Regardless, what I initially thought was a pretty calm reaction (kind of like "huh. . . ") quickly evolved into a "we're being taken by our cell phone company. . . the bastards!" Which escalated into a lah-ong conversation about finances and his job, etc. etc.

Which might be why when I called the mortgage company this afternoon to see what our "new payment" is going to be in June - an experience akin to ripping off a band-aid - I ended up being so relieved by the conversation that I cried a little when relaying it to M.

Turns out, we get to hang on to our good credit, at least until January. So, even if M gets laid off or falls into a volcano or a meteor crushes his building, what have you, we'll be able to make it solely on my income through the rest of the year, even if are no unemployment checks in our imagined worst-case scenario. That's because our payments are going down. Way down.

But, we are going to be responsible home owners and are going to continue paying the same each month as we do now so long as we are financially solvent. (In other words, for the foreseeable future. You know, barring any active local volcanoes or meteor strikes. Or cell phone carriers establishing automatic transfers from our bank to their account in a blatant attempt to really "stick it to" us).

I still don't know how I feel about paying for an underwater home, but I guess it comes down to this: I'm grateful to have one and to be able to pay for it.

In the meantime, I'd love to know your thoughts about:
~what home projects you would do to a drowned house in a "down economy" (since we're getting all comfortable in this house for the next 5-20 years or so)
~what movies/quotes you'd like to see in Scene It? (since the one over on the left has been up for well over a year now)
~whether you think it's possible to live without a cell phone or a cable/satellite tv in this day and age ('cause these're totally always on our "hit list" of things to go first should "budget cuts" become a necessary evil)

[Title quote is from "27 Dresses"]

1 comment:

Trina said...

first of all it's summer no good shows are on, cut back. home projects well we need to get together and discuss what we could do at BOTH our houses :) and scene it... what was the alst one? i never figured it out. for the next one put something from waaaay back.

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs