Monday, November 29, 2010

"I don't really know what kind of girl I am."

This morning was just one of those mornings. The kind where I know I am going to be juggling work and personal stuff all morning long. A lot to do at work. A lot to do at home.

Then, as I was tightening the ankle strap of my black heels, my eye caught the black house shoes I'd been wearing all weekend. The irony of that moment did not escape me. I was trading house shoes for heels.

So, I did what any weirdo would do. I looked to see if the blog name was available. It was, so I reserved it. I have no idea what to do with it yet. Perhaps a forum for working moms? I don't know.

In the meantime, my morning became a day and I juggled and balanced throughout. Calls to the pediatrician to get a same day sick appointment? Check. Calls from my boss checking in while working remotely? Check. Calls to the "sitters" to arrange a different pick up time? Check. Calls to friends to arrange a new lunch time? Check.

I arranged to leave work early only to wait in the waiting room of the pediatrician's office entirely overlong with a baby who was uncharacteristically fussy. The problem was solved by taking off his house shoes so he could sock around on the ground for while and bang on some chairs, laughing all the way. Who knew trading house shoes for non-slip socks could make such a difference?

Later, over a late lunch with a newly minted mommy-friend, at Chick-fil-A of all the places in the world (because that's just what happens with two babies and a crazy day multiplied times two frazzled mommies), I caught a glance down at my black heels. So out of place at this chicken joint, with two babies in tow and sitting across the table from my friend's maternity leave casual and next to the Bug's dressed down digs (that's code for the very same clothes he had been wearing when he went to bed the previous evening). We talked about nursing and sitters and working and plans for more babies. All the while I felt overdressed. Overdone. A little peculiar?

Then, later, perched on the lid of the toilet, still in my gray slacks and purple cowl-necked blouse and watching my babe splash in his bath water, I was still overdressed, despite my bare feet. But I did not necessarily feel unbalanced or out of sorts. Not torn between two worlds, just. . . odd.

Only when I had taken off the workplace trappings (and watched a little Cake Boss) did I feel an inkling.

You know what I want to do? I want to bake Christmas cookies. With my husband. On a winter's day when we're both off from work.

Because, overdressed or not, I can do both. And guess what? At the end of the day, I always trade my heels for house shoes, anyway.

So on that note, please, do tell: what are your favorite kinds of Christmas cookies??

[Title quote is from "Juno"]

3 comments:

Trina said...

Gramma's peanut butter cookies... or any sugar cookies. Not a huge fan of either the rest of the year but it's something about the memories.

Jonathan and Katherine Earl said...

I like snickerdoodles (not cooked until hard; they need to still be soft) with a big glass of milk. I also always make miniture spice cakes (cocoa apple spice cake)--they mean "Christmas" to me. --Katherine

Anonymous said...

Great post. Can’t wait to read the next ones :).

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs