Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"I am not going to sit on my ass as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand."

After giving up television, internet, and cellular for (most of) Lent, I wish I had something profound to tell you about my experience.

I wish I could report that I finished everything on my Lent to-do list.

I wish I could tell you that I was perfect in my practice.

I wish I could report that I exercised more or mended those darned (pun!) clothes.

About all I have to say about that is:
I have proved I cannot be trusted with a computer.

Good things came out of it, sure.

Like, we are no longer a TV watching kind of folk. So our evenings feel greatly uncluttered save for the occasional DVD or a show viewed on Hulu.

Like, I spent more time with my kid and hub and less time with my face buried in a screen.

Like, it was so incredibly nice not to be expected to be tied to my phone. Not being plugged in that way does something for you, you know.

Like, it was amazing to write in C's journal and my journal and really feel like I was getting to the heart of things.

Like, I learned about impulse control and how to ask myself "what is more important right now?" (which I am still trying to get good at, for what it's worth).

Like, I am seriously contemplating going to a scaled back version of internet and cell phone use - as opposed to the digital free for all I've been having these last two days - and maybe instituting Web Wednesdays and Web Weekends? I am thinking this would work well because it'll give me a mid-week checkpoint. Plus my major shows (all 3 of them) are on Tuesday nights, so they'll be Hulu-ed by Wednesday. . . . just sayin'.

I guess what I'm saying is that the experience taught me a lot. But the freedom I have after the fact is really the crux of the matter, isn't it? It's how I behave when I'm the only one who's watching that really matters, que no?

So, I am going to try and remember the good things that I enjoyed while I was (mostly) unplugged and try to do more of them more often and not let the internet boogie man get me again.

[Title quote is from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"]

No comments:

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs