Monday, July 2, 2012

"Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!"

I recently saw an interview with Lisa Bloom about her new book called "Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture".

As the mother of two boys, the interview drew my attention and I listened to what she said in the somewhat curtailed interview.  While the excerpts the shared from the book didn't necessarily catch my attention, I might give it a read just to see what she has to say.

During the interview, she outlined three major things parents should do to help their boys: teach them humility, set college attendance as an expectation, and expose them to books, books and more books.

I did a mental checklist of each of these main points:
~Humble Pie: I hope I'm doing OK, but it's kind of hard to tell with my oldest because he's been so center-of-the-universe until #2 came along.
~Expect college: check!  (We will be establishing a Coverdell account soon from both boys' savings accounts.)
~Promote Literacy: check!  She actually said "have books EVERYwhere in your home".  I thought to myself, "Well. . . Done!"

Finally!  Something I feel that I'm doing really really well at!  Wanna see proof of my mad boy-mothering skills (at least when it comes to books)? 

Witness:












[Title quote is from "Lost"]


No comments:

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs