Friday, January 9, 2009

"And I’m doing my yob very well because I love it."

I'm pretty territorial. I was thinking about this the other day. Don't touch my stuff, don't mess with my family, and don't even think about doing my work!

I think it all started when I was 4. At that tender young age, my parents used to assign me menial little tasks. (I was a good helper even then.) Then, all of the sudden, one day they asked my younger sister to do something that was usually reserved for me. Watch out! I had a full-on meltdown in the back seat of the car. I remember it. They talked me down for 10 or 15 minutes. Somehow they convinced me it was not the end of the world, but I still was not convinced that sharing the responsibility was good idea. It was mine! Mine!

When I was growing up we shared a room. I had two sisters within three years of me and you could say "we shared everything" but you'd be lying. We entered into verbal agreements - contracts, as it were - about what, where, for how long, and for what in exchange. And if either of them used it for longer than the agreed upon time, misunderstood the terms or, heaven forbid, used something without permission (!), all hell broke loose. Parents were immediately brought it as mediators and a full scale trial was held to determine their guilt or innocence. It was mine! Mine!

. . . Yes. Scenes such as these above flashed before my eyes as I once again scrambled to protect the borderlands of my territory.

But to be fair, I have learned to share over the years. And to be more fair, I can behave and play well with others. And to be even more fair, at times I've even allowed squatters to take up temporary residence in and around my territories. And to be fairest, today it was confirmed that I'm not, in fact, Crazy Territorial Lady. Nope. Someone else has that title in the bag. Uh huh.

(At least I think . . . )

[Title quote is from "The House Bunny"]

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Hahahaha! OMG- you brought back so many teenage memories of fighting over everything from clothes to hair-ties, it's not funny. Well, actually it is. Ahhhh, memories!

Jen said...

always an entertaining snippet!!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs