Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"It's only with the heart that one can see clearly. What's essential is invisible to the eye."

I decided I should stop wearing my glasses to church.

When the stinging starts at the corner of my eyes, I move my glasses to the top of my head. I know what's coming. It's inevitable: the trickling saltwater deadens the sting and makes two streams on either side of my nose.

The Holy Ghost speaks to me, Spirit to spirit. It testifies to me, teaches me, comforts me, fills me with compassion. The replenishment I feel is such that it overflows, watering my cheeks and dripping off my chin. And I see clearly, without my displaced lenses. I'm so grateful!

"I see now there is nothing to fear, that the world we hold onto, the lives we cherish, are a part of something greater, something more." from "Beyond Borders"

[Title quote is from "The Little Prince" (1974)]

2 comments:

Jonathan and Katherine Earl said...

OK...my comment is about your quote. When I taught 5th grade, there was a section of "The Little Prince" that was in our reading anthology. The students loved reading it because it talks about adults not being able to see things correctly. I think they felt empowered by that reading selection. It also opened up a great discussion on what is really important about a person. --Katherine

Jen said...

don't you love church!!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs