Friday, June 26, 2009

"That driving backwards. It's creeping me out. You're gonna wreck or something."

Only at work:
Yesterday a co-worker says: “Hey. Did you hear about the city attorney who was found drunk in a garbage can?” which sounds like the start of a joke, except we actually work for a city attorney, so her query was met with the requisitely shocked “WHAT!?” from all in hearing distance. Then she says her teenage daughter heard about it and asked “Mom, is it yours?” We had a good laugh. It’s only funny if it’s not yours. Read about it here (it's short. or just look at the photo. Seriously. You can’t make this stuff up.)

Math IS useful:
I remember when they would say in school "math is used for everything" and the token rebuttal was "when in the real world am I EVER going to use this stuff!" Uh, let's see. . . The other day I was trying to figure out what percentage a salary was being increased by. I even did the whole "x over 100 = is over of" where you cross multiply and/or divide. Yup. It worked, too. Oh, and I've been using it lots while sewing, too. Measuring and all that. And if those examples fail with my kids, well there's always things like baseball averages and such.

Outsourcing basketball:
I've never before in my life watched an NBA draft pick. If I thought math was a foreign language (read: graduate statistics), I never even considered the NBA draft. . . But, when you're eating dinner at a pizza joint and ESPN is on, it's unavoidable. TV on = watching whatever's on it. (Try not to do that some time and let me know if you're successful.) Within the first five minutes, several players were drafted who aren't even citizens of the USA: one from Spain, one from Israel, one from France. Seriously. They're outsourcing the NBA, people. You best pay attention!

[Title quote is from "Cars"]

1 comment:

Jen said...

the garbage can one is my favorite!! serious funny stuff there!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs