Monday, April 26, 2010

"I said pointy feet, not pointy words! Pointy words are mouth turds."

And so it begins. . .

One April Saturday morning we went out to breakfast. Since our 5 month old chubby-cheeked munchkin learns new things every day, breakfast out was quite the experience. Reaching, grabbing, fingers in oatmeal, spilled raisins making dark brown dots against the polished concrete floor, a crafty save of the water glass pushed out of reach just in time. It was chaos. But fun chaos, because it’s all so new and exciting for all of us. It was, however, a telling preview – the kind where all the funny parts are spent in a 30-second snippet. I fear the actual feature presentation a few months down the road will not be so endearing.

With all this excitement of having a newly grabby, squirmy, increasingly wriggly baby, I’m hearing the words “no” and “don’t” said a lot around our house. “Don’t pull mommy’s hair” “No, don’t grab that” “No no baby”. I don’t like it. I don’t know at what point kids start being able to understand, but I certainly know it’s not 5 months. Still, “no” is spewing forth from our parent lips on auto-program even though it falls on uncomprehending ears and is threatening to create a pattern of parenting while our backs are turned. After all, he’s simply exploring the world around him and practicing his new skills, honing them to become a lean, mean, unbridled-energy, mini-man machine.

He doesn’t know he’s not supposed to wiggle during diaper changes or grab a fist full of diapers out of the caddy and throw them everywhere. He doesn’t know he’s not supposed to roll in his sleep and face plant into his mattress so that his parents freak and look every 5 minutes to make sure he’s not suffocating. He doesn’t know he’s not supposed to grab mommy’s lips and hair and try to tear them from her body. He doesn’t know that he’s not supposed to toss his head back in a fitful attempt to be free of clingy adult hands.

So, while I am in the attempt to remove any superfluous “no” from my mommy vocabulary, I am also reading. At the suggestion of Heather over at Family Volley, I purchased “Leadership and Self-Deception”, “The Anatomy of Peace” and “Bonds that Make Us Free” and am seriously considering adding “Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles” to that repertoire. Besides, I much prefer other words I’ve crafted since entering the mommyhood fray, words like Gigglebutt, Crankypants, and Slobberbucket.

[Title quote is from "Stick It"]

2 comments:

Jen said...

i LOVE anatomy of peace, Eliott LOVES leadership and self-deception. We both LOVE LOVE LOVE the love and logic parenting class. There are books but just not as good as the class! Just thought I would share!!

Katherine Earl said...

I took Love and Logic classes for my job at BFCS down there in Mesa. Works for some kids in the classroom; for others it doesn't. I love your new words. Andrew was called "Androol" by my dad. I call Carson "Chubber-cheeks". Babies are so fun!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs