Saturday, August 14, 2010

"You traveled the world... Now you must journey inwards... to what you really fear... "

DAY SIX: On this day, I write “I miss it less” but I also admit that it’s nice to have a quiet distraction in the evenings, one that won’t wake the baby. I realize that morning internet really is a waste of my time and that it often sets me behind because I lose track of time. I realize I have only updated the baby’s photo album so far this week and that I have two vacation albums that need to be done still. I take stock of what I’ve done with my time all week. I’ve read. And watched a little TV. I try to sit with my yellow notepad and make sense of my lists and thoughts for the week, and I realize that ideas don’t flow easily with a paper and pen. My hand just can’t keep pace with my brain.

At work, I realize how much more productive I have been when I’ve been forced to do the less desirable tasks instead of turning to the internet for distraction and comfort. I come across some statistics from a conference my boss attended. “Just How Big is Social Networking” the slide asks. This is how big, it says: About 175,000 blogs are created every day and there are currently more than 70 million in existence; Facebook has more than 400 million active global users and usage in the U.S. alone spiked 97% in the last year; Twitter had 23 million unique visitors in June 2009 and will have 1 billion users by 2013. It’s staggering to think about. That’s A LOT of people. That’s a lot of TIME.

DAY SEVEN: It’s Saturday. Finding things to do is not a problem. I don’t even think about the computer. I don’t miss it. I don’t long for it. I’m a little panicked about going back to it, if you must know. I play with my baby. I read. I nap. I play with him some more. Then, we go out for lunch. Then, on a whim, we ditch the obligatory Schoolwork Saturday session and go with friends to see Gonzo’s number get retired at Chase Field. It’s a little slice of awesome. I hold my little person in my arms and show him the field and the players and the jumbotron with Gonzo’s face on it.

Later as I reflect on our day, I remember that once upon a time I thought how I would love for my kids to experience the minds of some of the world’s greatest thinkers. I reflect back to something I wrote earlier in the week. “What kind of person do I want to raise? One with his head hidden behind a computer screen? Or one with his nose buried in a book? BE that kind of person!”

. . . to be continued . . .

[Title quote is from "Batman Begins"]

No comments:

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs