Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly. Most have their Norgays."

"How do you spot a Norgay? You start with the people with the funny names."

Like "Fernandez", for instance. Or "Michelangelo", to be more specific. Yesterday we drove to Black Canyon Lake and went kayaking. Two hours of driving each way - no iPods, no DVD players, no GPS navigation, no radio, no cell phones, no noses buried in books. . . Just us, talking and laughing and enjoying the scenery and the company and the drive.

It was a great day and we had a fantastic time. We spent much of the day in seperate kayaks, paddling ourselves across the lake when the current carried us to its outer reaches. We had snack time together a couple of times, munching on PowerBars, gummy worms (for good fishing luck), and cashews. But mostly he was "over there" fishing and I was "over here" reading. We got rained on, drove through thunderstorms, and saw fantastic lightning shows in the night sky.

I'm not usually very schmoopy when it comes to my marriage. I'm not one of those women who has stood up in church and teared up talking about how grateful I am. Maybe one day I will. But, so far, not so much. Not that I'm not grateful. I am! I'm just not that. . . public.

This is about as public as it gets: I'm grateful to be married to my Michel. I tell him often, and he tells me. He's my Norgay - my sherpa helping me climb the Mt. Everest of life. And I'm his. For the most part, we have a lot of fun on the journey. For that, I am eternally thankful.

[Title quote is from Intolerable Cruelty]

2 comments:

Jen said...

You guys are so fun. that sounds like a wonderful day. (i am a little bit jealous!)

Kristine said...

That sounds like tons of fun! Well, except for the reading part but the quiet and serenity is always a good thing. Especially when its makes you ponder upon how much you love your hubby.

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs