Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Oh, wouldn't it be great if I WAS crazy? Then the world would be okay."

Yesterday we attended our niece's wedding. (She's the oldest daughter of M's oldest brother.) It was a great day to reflect on the degree of exposure our kids really will have to other religions, lifestyles, and people.

I make mental lists in my head - mental notes, more like - of things I will and will not allow my kids to do, say, act like, etc. The list grows pretty long by now, and grew even longer with the festivities of the day.

For instance, I WILL encourage them to learn about other religions. The ceremony was Catholic, and apart from the traditions and repetitions native to that religion, I feel that participating in prayers is OK (i.e. bowing my head and saying "Amen"). After all, we're praying to the same God, and the essential truths are the same, we just have more to offer.

I WILL NOT allow my 4, 5, 6. . . 12 year old to wear make-up. Two of my beautiful little nieces from different sets of parents showed up at the various events with blue and gray eye shadow on. One is 7 and the other is only 5. The rule at my house growing up was "no makeup until you're 13." I think it's a good rule. And it'll be a good lesson that we don't do what everyone else is doing just because everyone else is doing it. That's not a good enough reason. If I happen to get some really creative girls, and they give me a fantastic reason why they should be allowed to wear makeup before 13, maybe I'll renegotiate.

The other thing I've considered banning after this event: music videos. (Video games are already on the banned list.) The DJ was playing these hip hop songs and little kids (8, 9, 10, 11) were out dancing to these songs, with synchronized moves - like some foreign, new, punk'd form of line dancing. I asked my twenty-something nephew "when did the world change without me knowing!?" He said two words: "music videos". That's where they learned these funky dances! It frightened me enough to add that to my mental list. NO music videos!

I mean, I want our kids to be well-rounded, to be exposed to other ideas and cultures and religions and not be really sheltered, but it's a fine line to walk. Those of you already raising kids and dealing with these issues, my hat's off to you! All you moms out there are the REAL heroes! May we all be blessed to maintain some small shred of sanity while simultaneously standing guard and trying to enrich, strengthen, and protect our homes and families!

[Title quote is from "Twelve Monkeys"]

2 comments:

Jonathan & Katherine Earl said...

Hey Chole,
Yeah I just barely started our own blog the other day. I'd have to agree about the make-up thing. There was a 12 year old skater boy the other day that came with his mom to fold papers and he looked like Gene Simmons. Anyway, I'll talk at ya later.

Jen said...

My list is huge! It is a scary world we have to raise kids in! AAAHHHH!!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs