Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"I bribed them to sing a song that would drive us insane and make our hearts swell and burst."

M and I were driving in the car the other night when a song came on the iPod. He turned it up. It was Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game". Do you know it? The lyrics go like this:

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
I never dreamed that I'd meet somebody like you.
And I never dreamed that I'd lose somebody like you.

No, I don't want to fall in love (This world is only gonna break your heart)
No, I don't want to fall in love (This world is only gonna break your heart)
With you (This world is only gonna break your heart)

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you and,

I want to fall in love (This world is only gonna break your heart)
No, I want to fall in love (This world is only gonna break your heart)
With you.

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
I never dreamed that I'd love somebody like you.
And I never dreamed that I'd lose somebody like you,

No, I want to fall in love (This world is only gonna break your heart)
No, I want to fall in love (This world is only gonna break your heart)
With you (This world is only gonna break your heart)
No, I... (This world is only gonna break your heart)

(This world is only gonna break your heart)

Nobody loves no one.

As I listened to that song, those lyrics, I realized this is the closest thing to a "song" that M and I have. I turned to him and said "hon, don't you think that if we had a song, this would be it?" He shrugged and did that "I dunno" face. I responded with "that's kind of sad, don't you think? I mean, it's called 'Wicked Game'. . . " He said, "no. this is pretty much it."

And it is. It's the song we were listening to nearly 14 years ago when we realized this was kinda getting serious, and it kinda freaked us out, and we kinda laid down some ground rules for the relationship: no playing games with each other, no sticking around out of habit (we'd rather break up if it comes to that), and whatever we do, we remain friends. Considering we were 17 at the time, those sounded like pretty good rules.

But still. Our "song"? Brings back tender memories of two teenagers really scared of being hurt or bruised by "love" - our beginnings, the roots of our togetherness. That's what a "song" should do for a couple, I suppose. It represents us pretty well, I think. But. It's not very romantic.

Thankfully, over the years I've thought of a couple of alternatives, and sort of adopted them without M really knowing. And really, kind of without really thinking about it. I just like them.

This one I've used on our We Two blog (from "The Nightmare Before Christmas"):

My dearest friend, if you don't mind
I'd like to join you by your side
Where we can gaze into the stars
And sit together, now and forever
For it is plain as anyone can see
We're simply meant to be

Here's one - "Grow Old With You" by Adam Sandler:
I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad
All I wanna do is grow old with you

I'll get your medicine when your tummy aches
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks
Oh it could be so nice, growing old with you
I'll miss you
I'll kiss you
Give you my coat when you are cold
I'll need you
I'll feed you
Even let ya hold the remote control

So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink
Put you to bed if you've had too much to drink
I could be the man who grows old with you
I wanna grow old with you

Or this one - "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds Five:
I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know
That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife, she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know
That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

Oh yes. Much better. Anyway. Do you and your sweetheart have a song? What's yours? OR if you don't have one, which one do you "adopt" as yours?? (And since I'm not in the habit of loaning out things, you can't borrow mine!)

[Title quote is from "Joe Versus the Volcano"]

8 comments:

the MomBabe said...

No song over here. If I had to choose one, it'd be lady in red.

Kimberly said...

We didn't have any good song moment, but I heard one I liked when me and my bridesmaids were mulling over dress patterns, played it for Neil the next time we saw it, and we agreed. Edwin Mccain's These Are the Moments. Still love that song.

hayngrl101 said...

(you look) wonderful tonite by Eric Clapton. The live/slow version.

Trina said...

benny and i were doin the long distance thing in '96 and both heard a song and thought of the other and shared that in our phone call the next day. it happens to be time after time by c. lauper... not necessarily romantic either but we thought it to be since we too were 18 and 17.

Miranda said...

So Chuck heard a song by Toby Keith when we first started dating (You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This) and then called me and said that it reminded him of me. Not a very romantic song.....so then I, too, secretly decided a whole bunch of other songs were a better fit. For our wedding, we chose George Strait's "I Cross My Heart" and that's kind of become our new song, although he always sings Randy Travis' "Forever and Ever Amen" to me when it's on the radio. If he was a romantical sort of guy, I would make a CD of all the songs that when I hear, I think of him.

Jonathan & Katherine Earl said...

Wow! That's wicked awesome! I think mine and Katherine's song this week is sung by Moose A. Moose and Zee on Noggin.

Trina said...

jon, that's hilarious! kinda pitiful, but hilarious cuz i know where ur comin form!

Jen said...

we did chicago's "you're the inspiration" at our wedding, but i have a secret one too and it is firehouse, love of a lifetime. (love that song!)

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs