Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Why am I such a yummy dummy?"

I very rarely lose my composure at work. But one recent morning, as I was reading over my boss’s mark-ups on a first-draft memo, I fell into a fit of giggles that made him stare at me as if I’d just sprouted a third eyeball in the middle of my forehead.

Trying to compose myself and force down the giggling I said, “Sometimes I wonder what you must think of the work I submit to you.”

Giving me that third-eyeball look, he queried “Why?”

“Because I got a word wrong from your written notes and the sentence read ‘Should we hire someone to immolate [this woman] and her family?’” {more giggling} {concerted effort to stifle giggling} “Do you know what immolate means?”

“Emulate? Sure!”

“No. Immolate. I-m-m-o-l-a-t-e. It means to sacrifice by fire.” {collapse into giggles}

“That would have been funny!”

“No. That would have been bad."

Good thing my boss has a good sense of humor! Even so, I'll be making a practice of looking up any unfamiliar words from now on!

[Title quote is from "The House Bunny"]

1 comment:

The Author said...

not really the same but kind of I guess. I was talking to a regular client about the tea party. It led me to the word tea bagger and I told her I thought it sounded like a dirty word and went on and on about it. Little did I know it actually was a dirty word. When I mentioned it to Andy at home that night his face about fell off and after a quick Google I was friggin mortified.

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs