Saturday, March 19, 2011

"If crew morale is better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise."

So.

Giving up technology for Lent? Going well. During the weekdays, I don't really miss it.

Much.

For instance, on Monday, instead of TV going or head buried in a computer screen, M and I compared our Alice Cooper impressions of I'm Eighteen. (Hilarious!)

Tuesday night was quiet too, complete with dinner conversation and general hangings out and HP6 reading.

Wednesday was stomach flu day! (Hooray?) C was our very first participant, and along with throwing up, he also got his very first haircut. And then came Stomach Flu Thursday (also known as my turn) in which some form of technology was my only link to sanity and so the Bug and I mixed up a heretofore elusive Disney/Dreamworks partnership on our DVD player all the livelong day - while he tried to be patient about being stuck inside all day and I tried to peel myself off the couch between trips to the bathroom to take care of his basic needs.

Friday, we enjoyed my first full meal in days, only to have it be trumped by one of my top 5 grossest moments ever in the middle of Sweet Tomatoes. (And no, I'm not divulging any more about it.)

That brings us today. Having forgotten about St. Patrick's Day, I tried to make up for it by eating a small bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast. My stomach is still carrying a grudge, and is apparently not ready for meals yet, and so, we are (as I type this) missing Amococo with my family. I am camped on the end of the couch closest to the bathroom, a post-fishing M is asleep in the recliner, and the newly-shorn kid is asleep in his crib.

Now, normally, this sickly week would have been spent muchly on the 'net and lost in the grips of the boob tube. Instead, I have read books and otherwise rested. I still think I've slightly exceeded my screentime quota for today (Glee was just begging to be watched!), but at least it's a darn sight better than last weekend.

Do you know what? I don't miss TV. DirecTV can keep it. I don't miss blogging or FB near as much as I thought I would, but sometimes I just kind of want to put something random out there and the limits I've set sort of squelch it much like water to a campfire.

I kind of miss texting. But not much. I've had some lovely phone conversations, one with my mother in law (about what it means to be a tuned in mother) that really made me suspect that I was right about technology having very little to do with who I am - or at least who I am trying to be.

Seacrest out.

[Title quote is from "Star Trek"]

No comments:

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs