Sunday, July 22, 2012

"Crunchy creamy candy cookie cupcake."

I will never forget our trip to Europe in 2008.  We went on a Mediterranean cruise as an early celebration of our 10th anniversary.

To this day, I still feel a pang of sadness about our time in Barcelona.  We took a hop on/off bus around the city.  It was raining.  It was soggy and exciting.  We made it to La Sagrada Familia before we felt absolutely famished.  Feeling far away from home and being completely unprepared, we ducked into a KFC.  It's one of the great regrets of my traveling life.  (The other is the time we ate at a Wendy's on the Big Island.)

These moments were born of desperation.  As the resident trip researcher and planner (aka "wife" or "mom" in some circles), I hung my head in shame.  Every trip we've taken since then has been geared toward avoiding such regretful moments. 

If asked, I will absolutely deny being a foodie.  Because I, clearly, am not such a one.  I have, however, decided that moments such as those described above have made me a "vacation foodie". 

Now, whenever I plan a trip, I research unique and interesting places to eat in the area.  (Like the time we ate at Pita Paradise in Kihei or Da Kitchen in Kahului or at Cholo's and Kua Aina in Haleiwa).

Right now, for instance, I'm planning a quick trip to San Diego - a place we have been almost every year of the last 13.  Easy, right?  Not if you're staying in an entirely different area and looking for entirely different eats!  (I am shaking my head at past memories of sitting in Jack in the Crack and Del Taco drive thrus off the 8. . .)

I have some help from this blog post, TripAdvisor, and Urban Spoon.  I've got a simple itinerary that is now fleshed out with places to eat.  I'll let you know how it goes.

What about you?  Are you a foodie? Or a gourmet

[Title quote is from "Rango"]

No comments:

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs