Monday, March 7, 2011

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"

I've joked. I've resolved. I've even experimented.

But this time, I'm serious.

The first thing you need to know (in case you don't already) is that I am not Catholic. The second thing you need to know is what Lent is all about. The third thing you need to know is why I've chosen to do this.

My reasons are multifaceted.

Did you know, for instance, that "Too much time in front of the boob tube can take a serious toll on your health. In fact, a 2010 study found that people who watched four or more hours a day were 46 percent more likely to die from any cause than people who watched less than two hours a day. Even cutting back a little can help; each additional hour you watch increases your overall risk of dying by 11 percent and dying from heart disease by 18 percent"?

Also? (As if death isn't a good enough reason?) I don't think it's a coincidence that the week I was mulling this over so much my brain resembled a tumbling clothes dryer, I read articles about how TV is bad for you, cell phones are bad for you, and how the recession has brought on a new frugality. Precisely at the same time I contemplating how to free myself from the bonds of my bad technological habits and also to test my mettle to see if the monthly savings are worth the restriction. (Sat TV alone is $65 a month! And cell phones? Fuhgeddaboudit!)

The last thing you need to know is my plan.

During weekdays between Ash Wednesday (March 9) through Good Friday (April 22), I will not:
· Blog or read blogs
· Log in to Facebook
· Log in to my e-mail account
· Perform any Google searches that are not work related; or click on MSN or CNN bookmarks
· Draft blog posts in e-mail format
· Make ANY online purchases
· Use a computer other than for work, home purchase, paying bills, or working with photos
· Read or send any text messages
· Use my cell phone to call anyone other than 911, my husband or my in-laws (while they care for my son)

The things I can use a computer for during weekdays are:
· Paying bills
· Accessing documents saved on my flash drive
· Logging in to M’s e-mail account (for house stuff)
· Using iPhoto and MyBook to access photos
· If it’s not on this list, I won’t do it!

During weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between Ash Wednesday through Easter Sunday (April 24), I will:
· Limit total “screen time” (movie, TV, or computer screens) to 2.5 hours each day, including the list of allowable activities above

The list of alternative activities includes:
· Yoga
· Answer those 20 questions
· Calling people on the phone
· Updating photo albums
· Writing in my journal/C's baby journal
· Reading books
· Cleaning and organizing my house
· Spending time with family
· Mending clothes
· Packing/organizing
· A million other things that are on my “to do” list

[Title quote is from "Zoolander"]

2 comments:

Jen said...

you go girl!!

the momma-kana said...

So I am blog stalking! Sorry! I saw this post on the Mormom Mommy Blogs Linky and it caught my eye. I live in TX and lent is big here. I have really enjoyed learning about it. I love that you are giving up Tech for lent! I am giving up my flash on my camera. Ugh! :) I am interested to see how you do!

 
© Copyright 2010. Scorpion Sojourn. All Rights Reserved.
Blog Design by Caroline B. Designs